Alte Pinakothek

Renovation to Improve Energy Efficiency 2014-2018

The energy-related renovation work in the Alte Pinakothek that was started four-and-a-half years ago has now been completed. Since Tuesday, 03 July 2018 all 13 rooms on the upper level are fully accessible. Cordoned off areas have been opened up and a tour of the whole building is now possible once again.

Rooms on the ground floor at the eastern end of the building, where Early German paintings are shown, were already re-opened to the public at Whitsun. The temporary exhibition space that has been at the ‘Klenzeportal’ since 2005, has been moved to the west end of the building.

We would like to thank you very much for your patience in the last four years and we are very looking forward with you to the reopening of the gallery!

Opening Hours

Daily
10 am - 6 pm
On Mondays
closed
On Tuesdays
10 am - 8 pm
Regular
7 Euro
Reduced
5 Euro
On Sundays
1 Euro

Admission

PERMANENT EXHIBITION
OVER 700 MASTERPIECES

Admission is free for children and young people under the age of 18.

Reduced
5 Euro
Regular
7 Euro

ON SUNDAYS
PINAKOTHEKEN, MUSEUM
BRANDHORST, SAMMLUNG SCHACK

Regular
1 Euro

DAY PASS
PINAKOTHEKEN, MUSEUM
BRANDHORST, SAMMLUNG SCHACK

Regular
12 Euro

5-VISIT PASS
PINAKOTHEKEN, MUSEUM
BRANDHORST, SAMMLUNG SCHACK

Regular
29 Euro

Alte Pinakothek

The collection of the Alte Pinakothek, one of the most significant in the world, encompasses over 700 artworks from the 14th to the 18th centuries. Here, milestones of the European painting tradition join to form a survey, in unique concentration, that spans the development from the Middle Ages to the Renaissance and Baroque, through to the late Rococo period. Experience encounters with works by Dürer, Raphael, Leonardo, Titian, El Greco, Rubens, Rembrandt, Boucher and their contemporaries. The museum, contracted by the Bavarian King Ludwig I, was built by Leo von Klenze between 1826 and 1836 in the Neoclassical style, which at the time represented a new and pioneering effort in European museum architecture. Originally, the Alte Pinakothek was intended to make sufficient space available for the art collection of the House of Wittelsbach. Over and above this, King Ludwig I sought to use the construction of the Alte Pinakothek as a means of providing the general public access to his collection. In addition to the permanent presentation of outstanding works from the golden ages of German, Flemish, Dutch, French, Italian and Spanish painting, a host of temporary special exhibitions, guided tours and events make a visit worthwhile.

Directions

Alte Pinakothek
Barer Straße 27
Entrance Theresienstraße
80333 München

You can reach the Alte Pinakothek by

Tram
No 27 to Pinakotheken

Underground (U-Bahn)
U2: to Königsplatz or Theresienstrasse
U3 | U6 to Odeonsplatz or Universität
U4 | U5 to Odeonsplatz

Bus
No 154 to Schellingstraße
No 100 (Museumslinie/ museum line): to Pinakotheken
No 100 (Museumslinie/ museum line): to Maxvorstadt / Sammlung Brandhorst

We recommend the use of public transportation. Parking is not available.

Coach
Two coach parking spaces are available in front of the Neue Pinakothek. Parking is limited to two hours (with parking disc) between 10.00 a.m. and 8.00 p.m.

Take a closer look at our map (PDF) to get a better overview.
Click here (PDF) to open a general gallery map of the Alte Pinakothek.

Architecture

Rooted in the “Kunstkammer” (a cabinet of art and curiosities), today’s “Alte Münze” in Munich, which was commissioned by Albrecht V, Duke of Bavaria and built by Wilhelm Egckel between 1563 und 1567, the House of Wittelsbach presented their rich store of art treasures throughout the centuries in numerous newly-built galleries at their royal residences. The gallery in Düsseldorf, which was commissioned by Johann-Wilhelm II, Elector Palatine and the Grand Gallery at the New Schleissheim, commissioned by Elector Max Emanuel of Bavaria Palace and characterised by French influences, both attained a high degree of fame. The Pinakothek (today: Alte Pinakothek), contracted by King Lugwig I of Bavaria, was opened in 1836. With the Alte Pinakothek, architect Leo von Klenze set new, pathbreaking standards: the imposing galleries, lit by large skylights, and the accompanying smaller galleries on the north side, were to have a decisive effect on other European museum architecture. Heavily damaged during the Second World War, the Alte Pinakothek was rebuilt by Hans Döllgast in 1957. Rather than simply reconstructing numerous sections of the façade, they were replaced with bare brickwork as visible “wounds”. In so doing, the museum serves as an architectural example of post-war reconstruction.

Online Collection

With its Online Collection, the Bayerische Staatsgemäldesammlungen (Bavarian State Painting Collections) is making its entire holdings accessible to the public for the first time: that’s 25,000 artworks in Bavaria, Germany and Europe viewable on a single platform! It is now possible to have an overview not only of all the artworks on display in the Munich galleries – the Alte and Neue Pinakothek, the Sammlung Moderne Kunst in the Pinakothek der Moderne, the Museum Brandhorst and the Sammlung Schack – and in the other state galleries of Bavaria (several thousand works in total), but also of works in the museum storerooms (17,000 works) and more than 4000 works on permanent loan from the Munich collections to over 400 sites, some belonging to institutions which are only partly open to the public. 

Every artwork is documented with a photograph, basic information (catalogue/accession number, artist, title, support, size, provenance), and details of its location. The relevant specialist area is also given, to assist with classification.

DISCOVER OUR ONLINE COLLECTION

Shop

Museum shop CEDON
Publications of the Alte Pinakothek as well as postcards, posters or gift articles are available in our shop.

Opening Hours
Daily except Mondays | 10.00 a.m. - 6.00 p.m.
On Tuesdays | 10.00 a.m. - 8.00 p.m.

Contact
T +49 (0)89 28998820

All Publications are available in the museum shop Cedon: CEDON-service.

Café

Café Klenze

Opening Hours
Daily except Mondays | 10.00 a.m. - 6.00 p.m.
On Tuesdays | 10.00 a.m. - 8.00 p.m.

Contact
T +49 (0)89 12134980

Website: Victorian House

Albrecht Dürer
Self-portrait in a fur coat, 1500

Audio Guide

In the Alte Pinakothek, an Audio Guide for the permanent collection is included in the admission fee. 

On Sundays, museum admission costs 1 Euro, the Audio Guide then costs 4,50 Euro.

The Audio Guide is available in the following languages: German, English, French, Italian and Spanish

The Audio Guide was developed in cooperation with
Antenna International.

Renting

Leo von Klenze’s neoclassical building from 1836, which set new standards for European museum architecture, offers the ideal setting for events with traditional character and a high social standard. The museum’s collection contains milestones in European painting from the Middle Ages and Renaissance through to the Baroque: Guests encounter here works of international renown in unique concentration. The entrance hall embodies Leo von Klenze’s spacious architecture and is characterized - as are the spaces of Café Klenze with its fine furnishings - by a classic, elegant atmosphere.

Entrance hall
Available area for events: 250 sq m
Stand-up reception max. 200 people
Sit-down meal max. 100 people

Café Klenze
Available area for events: 110 sq m
Sit-down meal max. 60 people

Catering
Free choice of caterer in the entrance hall
Caterer provided in Café Klenze

Availability
MON all day, WED to FRI from 6.00 p.m.
End of event: 12.00 a.m. | Dismantling until 2.00 a.m.

Price
Price upon request.
To rental inquiry

Orientation and Barrier-free accesibility

ORIENTATION / TOUR / MAP in English (PDF)

Access to museum
Barrier-free access at the main entrance.

Parking 
On the north side of the Alte Pinakothek. Access from Arcis- and Barerstrasse. 
Please ring at the gate and show your disabled parking permit.

Lifts 
The museum has four lifts. Access to all galleries is guaranteed.

Seating and wheelchairs 
Light, portable folding chairs and two wheelchairs are available. Please inquire at the information desk.

Restrooms 
Restrooms for the disabled are on the ground floor.

Cloakroom 
The cloakroom is on the ground floor.

Guard dogs
Guard dogs and seizure response dogs are permitted in the museum, if they bear adequate identification.

Information 
+49 (0)89 23805-216