Dieric Bouts d. Ä.
Winged Altar "Pearl of Brabant", um 1465
Eichenholz, 62,7 x 62,6 cm
Erworben 1827 aus der Sammlung Boisserée
Inv. Nr. WAF 76
Winged Altar "Pearl of Brabant"
The name "Pearl of Brabant" sounds like a invention of the Romantic era; it is, however, first attestable as stemming from the 20th century. It is meant to express the overall sumptuous impression of the small altarpiece as well as the evocative portrayal of the times of day on the side wings: morning light on the left with John the Baptist, evening light on the right with St. Christopher (Greek: carrier of Christ). Owing to its diminutive dimensions, the small altarpiece served primarily as a private devotional piece.